Advertisement

Thursday, July 29, 2010

LOYALTY


My maid is a local girl.

She had been with me for the past 20 years.

My youngest son was only two years old when she started working and staying with me. She can’t read nor write. She had never been to school out of poverty and the attitude of her parents.

Her father thought that she would be better off at home helping her mother doing the household chores.

When I asked her father why he thought that she should stay at home and help her mother, his answer was,

“A woman no matter how intelligent she was, will end up in the kitchen.”

A very gender like comments. But I just keep quite.

None of her bothers and sisters completed school.

One day while having dinner with my best friend she asked me,

“Your maid had been with you for so long, what about the chance of her getting married?”

“Do you know that it is sinful to stop her from getting married?”

“She should be given a chance to have a life of her own. Your children are all grown up and you don’t need her anymore.”

My friend lectured me.

Then I told my friend, “The truth is, in the span of 20 years when she’s with me, eight different men had approached her family for her hand in marriage. She rejected all of them.”

“Why?”

“My dear friend, I asked my maid why she rejected all of the proposal and this are her answers.”

“Of the eight men that asked for my hand in marriage , but I rejected them all. I will tell you later”

Cikgutanya: Eight men asked her hand for marriage. For me, only one man did and he’s now my husband.

Continue tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment