Advertisement

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Down Syndrome


Her unborn baby was diagnosed to be a down syndrome baby.

“We have run tests and we advised you to abort the baby.”

“Are you sure doctor?”

“Yes”

“We’ll be getting a second opinion, doctor.”

“Yes, please do.”

They did.

The test still showed that the child will be a down syndrome child.

They refused to abort the baby. The child was then born, a girl, and she is a down-syndrome child.

The mother spoke to me when she came to school to discuss about the performance of her daughter in school.

“I am not really worried about my first daughter because she is normal. I am worried about my 10 year old daughter who is a down syndrome baby.”

I told her “But you are rich, you can afford the get the best treatment.”

“Down syndrome is not curable. She will be one until the day she die.”

“But she can be trained to be self reliance.”

“I know that, though trained, she can’t analyse human behavior towards her. She will not know their ulterior motives.”

“I also don’t have any expertise or experience to advise you on this subject,” I said.

“Teacher, I know but thank you for listening.”

CIKGUTANYA: It’s difficult to weigh the wonders of science and the fate of God. I will continue tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment