Advertisement

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sports Day


I was surprised when the school headmaster who is my friend invited me for the school sports day at night. The school was in the remote area.

“Why at night?”

“You just wait and see,” explained the headmaster.

I went.

The tents was put up at the side of the field. Three tents altogether.

“Who paid for it?”

“Our local businessmen.”

There were plenty of food for the guests, chicken curry and rice.

“Who cooked all these food?”

“The teachers. A few chickens that was given to school as school fees were slaughtered for the feast. Everybody will eat together after the sports event. Rice, we have to buy.”

At about 8.00 pm, the parents started to arrive with their family, small children, grandmothers, grandfathers, uncles and aunties. The field was full of them. I never expected a rural school to get so many spectators to a sports day especially at night.

“My friend, I am surprised at the attendance. Even though you hold your sports day at night, still the turn up is good. Why?” I asked my friend.

My friend explained to me that, “The people here just wanted to see the SPOTLIGHT!”

“Huh!”

CIKGUTANYA: Sometimes we take things for granted. We saw spotlights everywhere and everyday in the city but others may have never seen it in their entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment