Advertisement

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Steward


He is a steward. Still working and 37 years old.

When he was in the school that I taught, he was a very talkative student. He really likes to talk.

When he has free time, he will come over to the staff room to ask a lot of questions.

He asked me about marriage. He wanted to know what make a marriage go sour.

I told him that, “In marriage there must be a lot of patience. Boy, it’s not the big thing that makes husband and wife quarrel. It’s always the small things like putting the cap back on the toothpaste tube, farting under the blanket, for not hanging the towel on the rack and not to throw it on the bed or on the floor. Burping loudly. Snoring and spitting.”

“If a husband and a wife quarrel because of the big things, they will end up divorced at the early stage of their marriage.. So to have a long lasting marriage, you have to be patient with the “shortcomings” of your partner and ignore the little things.”

Last week, he came back from Paris and he called me. I know he is still not married.

“Hello teacher”

“Yes, long time no hear from you.”

We talked about the past.

Then I asked him “Are you married ?”

“ Not yet”

“Why?”

“Whenever I think of marriage, I always remember your words. It is the small things that ruin the marriage. I don’t want that to happen to me. I am very particular about small things. If my wife is a cluttered type of person, I think my marriage won’t stand a chance. I want her to be spick and span.”

“Then are you still a VIRGIN?’

“No, I am no longer a virgin!”

CIKGUTANYA: I feel really bad. I think I better keep my mouth shut.

1 comment: